Friday, July 31, 2009

Songket



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Songket is a fabric that belongs to the brocade family of textiles. It is hand-woven in silk or cotton, and intricately patterned with gold or silver threads. The metallic threads stand out against the background cloth to create a shimmering effect. In the weaving process the metallic threads are inserted in between the silk or cotton weft (latitudinal) threads. The term songket comes from the Malay word menyongket, ‘to embroider with gold or silver threads’. Songket is a luxury product traditionally worn during ceremonial occasions as sarong, shoulder cloths or head ties. Tanjak or Songket headdresses were worn at the courts of the Malay Sultanates.[1] Traditionally Muslim women and adolescent girls wove songket; "some boys and men are also weaving today".[2] Traditionally-patterned Sumatran textiles embody a system of interpretable emblems.

In Indonesia, songket is produced in Sumatra, Kalimantan, Bali, Sulawesi, Lombok and Sumbawa. Outside of Indonesia, further production areas include the east coast of the Malay Peninsula and Brunei.[3] Songket weaving is historically associated with areas of Malay settlement, and the production techniques could have been introduced by Arab and Indian merchants. Historically, production was located in politically significant kingdoms because of the high cost of materials; the gold thread used was originally wound with real gold leaf.[3]

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Fasten your seatbelt please..thank you,Here we Goo...Hi Guys..!!How are u?i hope always well AMeN..a little about me guys...i was born in bukittinggi,at 23 nov:D,ever since my baby is always there, until I complete the general secondary school and and now I reside in the city of Bandung,in order to complete the course,I love music, either play it or hear it,I was a drummer, and until now have existed in the case at this beat,I do not know why really like playing drums, it may be because I can be myself when i'm playing the drum set..and maybe because i'm a shy guy..xixixixii..,I think this talent I got from my father, he used be a bass player in his band..my mom said that to me..haha..but of course this talent that I have i've received from the infinite power,ok folks..thats all..I think that its,if too long, you are also lazy to read it..:D,enjoyed my Blog!!